Audrey and the Unstamped Letters
First Delivery
Late morning in a time during
the first lockdown. Audrey is working in the downstairs office at home. Her
husband Jeff is upstairs asleep after completing a night shift. She hears a
thud as a letter drops from the letterbox onto the carpet. Funny, she thinks,
I’ve not seen the postman.
She goes to the door and picks
up the letter. No stamp, so no postie. She opens the door. No-one around. She
closes the door and looks at the envelope. The address is handwritten - ‘Private
and Confidential - For the Personal Attention of Audrey’ - and inside the
envelope are two sheets of white paper. The first reads: -
I
KNOW EVERYTHING.
WE
NEED TO TALK.
I
WILL BE IN TOUCH SOON.
The second sheet provides more
details of what was seen and when. The information is accurate. The sender
reveals what they did to help Audrey evade detection that day. She had no idea.
Audrey is anguished. She thought
she had got away with it. Clearly, she hadn’t. What is going to happen next?
Some Weeks Earlier
Not everyone is confined to
their home because of lockdown. Jeff works regular nights and is getting ready.
He’s putting on his police jacket in his bedroom, whilst Audrey is watching and
thinking about men in uniforms. Other men in uniforms.
Jeff searches for his car keys
as he considers his life. His is an important job at the best of times. Now, in
the worst of times, it’s even more important. The new guidelines reinforce this
fact, but as pubs and restaurants are now shut and travel restricted, the night
shift doesn’t currently hold the appeal it once did. Getting the hurry-up to
break up a brawl in a pub or a carpark; stopping a driver on suspicion of drink
driving; catching a scrote urinating in a public place; these kinds of things got
his pulse racing.
‘It’s different now, Audrey,’
Jeff says suddenly, as though she’s been party to his thoughts. ‘The town is
dead in the evenings. Probably going to be another boring night travelling
around deserted streets before catching up with all that never-ending
paperwork. Oh well. At least I’ll be warm.’
Audrey only half-hears her
husband. ‘You’ll be fine,’ she tells him without much conviction. ‘Try to be
quiet when you come back. You know I’m a light sleeper.’
She’s distracted. Her affair
with Robbie, a fireman, has been going on for the last three months, pre-dating
the pandemic. Things are hotting up between them. He’s working part-time days
as he recovers from a minor operation. Her evenings are usually free. They meet
in carparks at various rural locations and go for late-afternoon walks, taking
blankets, wet weather gear, a torch and thermals to cover all eventualities. It’s
far from perfect, but it’s better than nothing. And there’s hardly anyone
around.
‘Do you love me, Robbie?’ she’d
asked after their latest afternoon walk. Having an affair, rather than thinking
about it, had surprised and amazed her. She never thought she could, let alone
would. Doing so had made her start to consider the life she wanted after the
Covid threat dissipated. A future with Robbie might be fun compared to the life
she’s experiencing with Jeff. Going to places and laughing rather than staying
at home and getting bored.
‘Of course I do,’ Robbie had
replied automatically. He doesn’t, but he thinks he knows how to play the game.
And the sex is fantastic. Right now though, he just wants to go home as there’s
a good film on TV soon. He doesn’t want to miss it.
Breaking the Routine
Jeff’s frustration with the effect
the pandemic is having on his job persuades him to volunteer for secondment to
Manchester to help out with the creation of the Nightingale hospital at the old
GMEX building. He stays in accommodation in the city whilst the work proceeds.
It’s the first time he and Audrey have been separated for any length of time.
A week or so passes. He phones
Audrey’s mobile with news. No answer, so he leaves a message. ‘Hi Audrey, the
hospital is almost ready now. The secondment is finishing. I’ll be back home around
6pm today. I’ve missed you.’
She must be busy with work, Jeff
thinks. Good for her. Soon, I’ll be returning soon to my boring, ordinary
existence after feeling useful for a change. Can’t say I’m looking forward to
it much. He shrugs his shoulders and begins to say his goodbyes.
Audrey has indeed been keeping busy,
but not just with work. Robbie had finally been persuaded to come round to hers
for the first time later today and a lot needed organising in advance of this
momentous event. She’d daydreamed as she’d worked. With any luck, Robbie would
take her to heaven and back again. She hoped so anyway. Thank God Jeff went on
that secondment.
She was a meticulous planner. She’d
completed all the tasks work wanted her to do from home by midday, having been
awake since stupid o’clock. Her job may have been administrative, but it was
important nevertheless and she was good at it. She knew there were no mistakes.
There would be no follow-up queries. The rest of the day was hers.
Robbie was expected at 2pm. She
had her shower and prepared the spare bedroom. It faced the rear garden and
wasn’t overlooked. Then she went into her own bedroom and dressed slowly in what
she considered her sexiest outfit; something she’d not worn in years. The
result was fantastic, in her opinion anyway. Robbie will love it. No time to
waste though. Back into the spare bedroom to close the curtains and make the
place seductive.
Audrey’s belief the spare
bedroom is not overlooked is wrong. From a house facing the back of Jeff and
Audrey’s place, but some distance away, a man with a pair of binoculars is also
appraising how Audrey looks as she closes the curtains. He’s not lived in the
house long, and he certainly doesn’t know Audrey to speak to. He thinks in
hindsight he may have seen Audrey with someone in a car once but can’t be
certain.
He doesn’t know the area. His
house is a rental that was organised by his work for an initial six-month
period just before lockdown began. He’s been unable to do anything other than
work since moving in because of the restrictions. Boredom had quickly set in. He’d
found the binoculars on a shelf in the garage, cleaned them up and started
using them for innocuous reasons to pass the time. Then he’d accidentally
spotted Audrey. He was intrigued. Why did a beautiful, sexily dressed woman
want to close curtains during the afternoon? He wanted to know more.
Robbie was in a bind. Having to
live with his parents again after the breakdown of his marriage was a necessary
evil. Lockdown wasn’t helping. His relationship with Audrey had been exciting
at first but he was beginning to get the impression she wanted more out of it
than a good time. He’d accidentally used the ‘l’ word in a moment of high
passion recently and Audrey had seized upon it like a cat with a small bird.
The last thing he wanted at the moment was to get seriously involved with
anyone. But the sex… well, he had to admit that it was spectacular.
That’s what had persuaded him to
take a day’s leave and go to Audrey’s place for the first time. He wasn’t overly
bothered about her marital status. He just knew the husband had been seconded
to Manchester so the possibility of being caught out was minimal at best. He was
being led by a part of his body that was neither his head nor his heart.
As soon as he knocks on Audrey’s
door, she drags Robbie in and leaps on him. Robbie is surprised but not
unenthusiastic. She’s really made an effort – she looks incredible. Correction
– incredible and very sexy. He gasps as much between kisses. They stagger
upstairs, clothing falling from their bodies as they do so, before collapsing as
one onto the thankfully sturdy spare room bed.
The lovemaking is over almost
before it’s begun. Audrey felt possessed, whilst Robbie was consumed with lust.
They lay next to each other, regaining breath as their heartrates diminished.
Audrey wanted to talk. Robbie wanted to sleep. Her mobile on the side table flashed
suddenly, illuminating their faces in the enticing but minimal light. It was on
silent but someone had obviously phoned. They will leave a message if it’s
important.
The man with the binoculars had
been out on his permitted daily walk, trying to work out where the woman he’d
seen through the binoculars lives. He’d just identified it when he saw her
opening the front door and dragging a man inside before closing it again. He’d
put two and two together. He couldn’t get back to his house and the binoculars
quickly enough.
The next hour proved a waste of
time for him. There was nothing to see. For Audrey and Robbie, however, this
hour proved to be a combination of more sex and some dancing around the houses
as far as serious conversation was concerned. Every time Audrey asked about a
possible future together, Robbie stonewalled using the collapse of his marriage
as the justification for ‘seeing how everything pans out’.
He said all of this as diplomatically
and romantically as he could; he knew there was still fun to be had. Audrey was
disappointed but practical enough to realise there was probably some truth in
what he was saying. She was also up for more fun. But by 5pm they were both shattered.
The bedroom was a disaster area. Both of them were getting hungry.
Audrey threw back the curtains
before offering to make a drink and a snack. She didn’t feel the need to put
anything on as she was very warm and thought no-one could see her. Bingo,
thought the man with the binoculars, as she came into view, stark naked. Here
we go.
She’d taken her phone with her
and was scrolling through it as the kettle boiled. When she found Jeff’s
message, she dropped the phone in horror. Picking it up, she raced upstairs and
explained Jeff would be arriving home in 45 minutes. Robbie needed to be
dressed and away from the house pronto. He’d grabbed his discarded clothing and
dressed quickly. In a way, this was exactly what he’d wanted to happen. There
was something good on TV later.
Within 30 minutes, the house was
tidied up and Robbie gone. Audrey had changed and was watching the clock whilst
drinking tea, remembering what she’d been doing earlier. She felt certain Jeff
wouldn’t notice anything. He wasn’t that kind of man.
When Jeff hadn’t arrived home in
the next hour though, Audrey had started to get a bit worried. He wasn’t
someone who habitually arrived home later than planned, especially after
stating a time. She’d called him – straight to answer machine. All very
strange, she’d thought.
He’d eventually rocked up an
hour and a half later than promised, absolutely sober and a little bit annoyed.
‘Sorry I’m late. I would have been back ages ago, but some guy who apparently
lives nearby flagged me down saying he had a problem. Being new to the area and
because of the coronavirus situation, he didn’t know who to contact, and he
wondered if I could help him. I’ve been at his place helping him to trace the
source of a water leak he’s had. I’d have got in touch, but I misplaced my
phone. I only found it when I was leaving his place.’
Audrey had looked on
sympathetically.
‘It’s funny really,’ continued
Jeff, ‘as far as I can tell this guy only lives around the back from here.
Small world hey?’
The World Continues to Turn
Life got as back to as normal as
a pandemic crisis allowed. Jeff went to work most nights as usual, whilst
Audrey worked from home. Sometimes she met Robbie and sometimes she didn’t. Then
the unstamped letter had arrived, throwing Audrey into a spin.
She looks at it regularly. In
fact, she’s almost word-perfect now. The details in the second sheet include what
she was wearing, what time Robbie had arrived and how the writer had managed to
delay her husband from getting home to allow her time to get the house clean
and tidy by temporarily stealing his phone. She knows she should be concerned.
After all, someone has been covertly watching her. But part of her is
intrigued. She is looking forward to hearing from the writer again, even though
she knows she shouldn’t.
The lockdown restrictions are
easing a little. Jeff has the opportunity to once again wander round the small
town at night and bang heads together. Audrey is feeling guilty about her
double life and curious about her voyeur. The tone of the note she’d received
was more friendly than menacing, she’d decided. Not something to worry about
unduly.
She found she had more free time
than ever because she wasn’t gossiping in the office and could start and finish
her work whenever she wanted. She was loving the freedom the new normal, as
someone has described it in a podcast she’d listened to recently, gave her.
What will happen after the pandemic ends?
Jeff works permanent nights
because the money is better; he can usually sleep during the day as it’s a
quiet neighbourhood; it’s easier to avoid Audrey’s sexual advances if he isn’t
there. However, he’s finding it more difficult to sleep just now though with
Audrey being at home constantly.
He’s decided separate bedrooms are
best when he works weekends. They are his favourite shifts as lots of stuff
happens. Audrey had subconsciously identified this decision, which was not
discussed beforehand, as the moment she realised her marriage wasn’t likely to
go the distance, but she’d said nothing. She was seeing Robbie by this time, so
was amenable without much complaint. The recent easing of restrictions hadn’t really
changed anything.
The affair with Robbie is
beginning to change. In Audrey’s view it’s now a relationship with a flattening
curve. She remains keen on the possibilities a life with him could bring her,
particularly excitement and love, but he is clearly scared of commitment. The
sex is spectacular and she suspects it’s the only thing that has been giving
oxygen to the flame recently. It’s shame they can’t find somewhere to enjoy it
nowadays that doesn’t involve massive preparation.
Robbie is unwilling to visit
Audrey’s place after the recent near miss. This is frustrating as, in Audrey’s
opinion, that afternoon had been especially wonderful. She’d been able to let
her hair down and relax properly. Yes, it had downsides too, particularly
nearly being caught by her husband. But the important thing was Jeff remained
oblivious.
And what about the contents of
the unstamped letter? The writer still hadn’t got in touch, which was leaving
her dangling on a string. But she remained curious. With hindsight, it was obviously
the writer who had acted as a Good Samaritan by preventing Jeff from getting
home when he wanted to. Not that she’d said anything to anyone about it.
Decisions
Audrey is once again at home, theoretically
working. Actually, she’s sat in the downstairs office, thinking. She’s not seen
Robbie for a week or so and their last conversation, four days ago, had ended
badly. More than that; she’d dumped him. Relationships with Jeff and, latterly,
Robbie have taught her a lot about the abilities of men to duck the important
questions. Neither of the current men in her life seem capable of telling the
truth.
She remembers the conversation. ‘Robbie,
have we got a future together? Do you think one day we can start a proper
boyfriend and girlfriend relationship?’ In many ways it’s a rhetorical
question. Audrey already knows what his answer will be. The length of time it
is taking him to reply simply confirms her thoughts.
‘I want to,’ Robbie replies
after an eternity, ‘but it’s difficult with the separation and everything. I
don’t know what the future holds.’
‘Do you want to stop seeing me?
I understand if you do. You’ve a lot of pressures at the moment. I’ll survive.’
Once again, Audrey has surprised
herself by reaching this decision. Without Robbie in her life she will be stuck
with Jeff and he gives miserable a good name. But when it comes to the
important things in life, Audrey is at heart a realist. She might be able to
identify the cause of any unhappiness she feels but she doesn’t always know the
appropriate steps to take to rectify matters immediately. She’ll work it out
eventually. The affair is a response but not a solution to her problems.
‘I think we need a break.’
replies Robbie. ‘Just to take stock. Let’s put it on the backburner for now until
I know what’s going to happen with me.’
He’s finally told the truth,
admittedly with a bit of prompting, Audrey acknowledges ruefully. It is perhaps
a shame he’s only thinking about himself when he says it though. Audrey
certainly sees through it straight away.
‘Robbie, Robbie. It’s not all
about you. I have feelings as well you know. I’m prepared to leave my husband
for you, that’s what I feel about us. Then you say this. You don’t deserve the
love of anyone, especially me. I’ve never known anyone so selfish. Goodbye.’
Audrey had ended the call and
thrown her phone at a nearby cushion in disgust.
Meanwhile, Robbie had felt an
elation he hadn’t felt in ages. A big weight had been lifted from his
shoulders. OK, he thought, I’m a bastard. But people split up all the time and
life continued. Look at my marriage. Audrey will get over it. I will certainly
get over it. Someone always gets hurt. Call it a rite of passage if you want.
Life was suddenly better.
After reflection and some wine, Audrey began to realise a weight has also been lifted from her shoulders. She hadn’t realised how depressed she’d been feeling, worrying about a relationship with someone who clearly didn’t feel the same way about her as she felt about them. The stress of conducting a clandestine affair had been an unconscious barrier to her enjoyment of life. Even if that life was mostly shared with Jeff. Anyway, she’d managed to meet someone before so why couldn’t she do it again?
Second Delivery
Jeff is asleep upstairs. Audrey
is typing a work report when she hears a letter drop on to the mat. Funny, she
thinks, I didn’t see the postman. She looks at her watch. The post doesn’t
normally arrive for another hour or so anyway. She gets up and retrieves another
unstamped letter lying there. No postie involved then.
Externally, the envelope is
identical to the first one she received. Same size, colour and handwritten
address. Inside, there is one sheet of paper this time. It’s A4 and comprises four
paragraphs preceded by her name: -
Audrey
‘I refer to my previous communication.
By now you will hopefully have had the time to appreciate firstly that I mean
you no harm, secondly, I know more about you than you think and thirdly, your
secret is safe with me.’
‘I would like to get to know you
better. I find you very attractive. From my brief conversation with your
husband, I get the impression he doesn’t fully appreciate you. He must be crazy!
You are a married woman, currently working from home. I am a stranger in this
town who has been restricted by lockdown and unfamiliarity with the area from
travelling around, otherwise I would introduce myself.’
‘It’s obvious to me you are
unhappy. I know your husband works permanent nights. What have you got to lose?
I fully appreciate I can’t force you to speak to me but be assured I am loathe
to tell your husband about what happened that afternoon. It’s entirely possible
you could report me to your husband’s employers for stalking, but I don’t think
you are that kind of person.’
‘If you want to take this
further, place something large and yellow in the rear left bedroom window any
day. Then I will make plans.’
The letter is signed with the
initial ’P’ and a kiss. After reading it twice, Audrey still doesn’t know what
to do. She needs to consider her options.
Suddenly, she is galvanised into
decisive action. She is definitely going to have it out once and for all with
Jeff. He is off all next weekend for a change. There won’t be an argument as
such; she just needs to know where she stands. It’s all about asking the right
questions.
She thinks Jeff has morphed into
someone diametrically opposite to the man she’d met as a graduate in a bar in
town all those years ago. Then, the light had blazed in his eyes. Then, he had
big plans. Now, the fight has gone. Now, there is no sparkle anywhere.
Big Discussions and Unexpected
Revelations
Jeff continues to work nights.
Whilst he sleeps, oblivious to everything, Audrey finalises her plan of attack.
The deterioration of the marriage is entirely down to Jeff’s lack of desire,
passion, interest, enthusiasm and concern for her. It’s a biased view, of
course, but she’s been giving it her best shot for ages now without success.
The affair with Robbie was the first time she’d strayed. It might not be the
last, assuming she stays with Jeff.
Jeff wakes up at around 2pm on
Saturday afternoon. He’s slept for about five hours, but that’s standard when
he’s off for the weekend. He can smell food cooking downstairs. It makes him
smile; Audrey is a great cook. He stretches, gets out of bed and then takes a
shower before dressing casually and going downstairs to start his days off
properly.
Audrey spots him at the bottom
of the stairs. His job has helped him to retain the great physique he had when
she first met him. She remembers it was one of the reasons she was attracted to
him in the first place. He’s unshaven, but it suits him. He yawns as Audrey
puts the kettle on.
‘Something smells nice,’ he says
as he touches Audrey’s shoulder in a possessive rather than loving way. ‘To
what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?’
‘I thought it would be nice to
eat something special this evening. After all, even though the lockdown has
eased a bit I’m not really keen to go anywhere, so we might as well try to
enjoy ourselves as best we can at home.’ Audrey smiles as she says this to him.
‘Cup of tea?’
Jeff suddenly begins to feel
slightly uncomfortable. He’s not entirely sure why, but suspects Audrey may be
planning one of her thankfully now-infrequent attempts to seduce him. The
hallmarks are there, but it’s the last thing he wants on his weekend off. It’s
been a while since he even slept in the same bed as Audrey and he likes it that
way. She can be quite demanding sexually, and he’s simply doesn’t enjoy all
that thrashing about any more. He’s also discovered a liking for cocoa. Is it a
slippery slope, he wonders?
Thinking this is one thing
though; saying as much to Audrey is something else entirely. He isn’t sure how
best to phrase the words without seriously upsetting her and potentially
threatening the continued capability of some parts of his body. Jeff is very
good at compartmentalisation. He’s not very good retrieving the stuff he’s
compartmentalised, even when he knows he should.
He remembers some of the
comments Audrey has made in the past about two lives being lived separately
under the same roof. There’s nothing wrong with that in his view. He quite
enjoys the status quo, but he wonders if the pressure of being unable to let
off steam due to the pandemic maybe starting to tell on Audrey. It’s obvious to
him that she’s been thinking again. He fears the worst but manages to keep the
expression on his face neutral for now.
‘That will be nice,’ is the best
he can manage by way of reply.
Audrey continues with her meal
preparations. Jeff retreats into the front room with his cup and puts the TV on
to catch the football on the sports channel. He’s not really paying attention.
It’s just background noise. What the hell am I going to do now, he thinks?
He wonders where it all started
to go wrong. In the beginning, the relationship was textbook. Similar
interests; similar ideas about the future. A desire to go through life
together, facing down whatever shit was thrown at them. Out until all hours
most weekends; waking up in bed together in their rented flat in the afternoons
and staying there until the evening. They used to laugh a lot.
Then getting married and buying
a house – the same one they still live in. The mortgage was crippling at the
time, and even though they’ve both changed jobs and improved salaries money
remains fairly tight. It’s one of the reasons he’s never been too interested in
becoming a father, even though he knows Audrey wants children eventually.
Working permanent nights has
turned Jeff into a different, more cynical person. He’s spending his shifts
dealing with individuals who sometimes defy description. He doesn’t want to
socialise. His job makes him a target at such times, but he’s unwilling to consider
a career change now he’s got his foot on the promotion ladder.
He’s also becoming a more
inconsiderate person, he acknowledges with alarm. Some of the bigger decisions
he’s making about his life aren’t being discussed with Audrey in advance. He
knows he should do more, say more, be more considerate, but he’s somehow lost
the ability to communicate. The prospect of the imminent one-to-one with Audrey
scares him because he fears she will point these disturbing traits out in her
calm but direct manner.
They sit down to eat at 4pm. The
food is indeed lovely but Jeff’s appetite is being affected by the worry over
what is coming next. Audrey seems to be playing a waiting game as far as he can
tell. He’s never been able to do this, but he can’t just get up and go out in
the circumstances. That would ruin everything.
In his heart of hearts, he realises
he knows what Audrey is thinking. You’re not part of a couple; you’re
pretending to be but I’ve seen through your charade. He suddenly decides to act
decisively. Quite unexpectedly, he starts a conversation.
‘I think I know what all this is
about,’ he begins. ‘Before we go any further, can I lay my cards on the table
and apologise. I’ve not treated you very well recently. You deserve better than
I’m giving and I’m sorry. I could go on about the job and the hours and, and,
all sorts of stuff to try and justify my behaviour, but there’s no point. I’m
not being the partner you need, expect or want at the moment.’
Audrey is stunned both by Jeff’s
actions and what he is saying. She listens intently as Jeff carries on talking.
‘We’ve both changed over the
last few years. Whether or not we’re prepared to admit it, we are getting
older. My attitude towards life has altered considerably. It’s a sign of my
self-absorption that I can’t honestly tell if your attitude has changed. I suspect
it will have, but I can’t be certain.’
‘Do I love you? Yes, in the way
two people who’ve been together for as long as we have love each other. Am I in
love with you? I don’t really know to tell the truth. I’d like to think so, but
I know I take you for granted. I’ve lost interest in everything I used to
believe in so passionately when I was younger. I have no desire to go out any
more. Not because of you, but I genuinely prefer being at home.’
Jeff now takes a deep breath.
This is where things are going to get interesting. ‘Do I still want to be
married to you? Surprisingly, the answer is yes, even though I know you’ve been
cheating on me with that fireman.’ He looks across at Audrey, who is starting
to go red.
‘It’s amazing what information
crosses my desk overnight. Your car registration number has appeared in reports
I’ve received on a few occasions, alongside that of another vehicle. Both have
been spotted together by patrols in several places since the start of lockdown,
more often than not parked in rural carparks. More importantly, I know why you
were there. The police and fire services regularly work together. Tongues wag.
I know who you were meeting.’
Jeff continues in a flat, level
tone. ‘Perhaps I’m more modern than you give me credit for, as the idea of an
open marriage appeals to me. I’ve always wanted you to be happy, but I’ve
obviously failed. I enjoy our relationship as it is now, but I know you don’t.
We’ve not made love for ages. It upsets you more than it upsets me. I’m not a
complete idiot, but I keep the important stuff inside rather than talk to you
about it, which is wrong.’
The evening is not taking the
route Audrey had expected it to take. For once, Jeff is proving mysterious.
Also, she isn’t sure what is upsetting her more at present. Being found out
cheating on her husband or discovering he is aware how miserable she feels but
hasn’t said anything about it to her.
She speaks. ‘I’ve ended the
affair.’
‘Good,’ replies Jeff. ‘The man
is a prick. You deserve better. If you are going to see other men, I would
prefer to at least have a small say in the matter.’
Audrey looks at him in
amazement.
‘Don’t misunderstand me here. I
don’t want the full details or anything like that. I would just like to know if
your arrangements are likely to conflict with my job at all. In a roundabout
way I suppose I’m asking you to avoid getting involved with anyone I know or
who has a criminal record that is likely to be of interest to me
professionally.’
‘There are two other things as
well. One, I need to know is you are you happy to stay with me on this basis,
because if you are not then you’d better move out. And two, don’t ever bring
anyone back here again. You brought the fireman back and used the bedroom I’m
sleeping in at present. I found a sock under the bed. At least, I think it was
his sock. Unless there’s someone else.’
Jeff smiles weakly. It’s
probably the longest conversation he’s had with Audrey in years, possibly ever.
‘I don’t know,’ Audrey says. ‘I
need to think about it. And there isn’t anyone else.’
And think about it she does. The
following day she sits down with Jeff and another long conversation ensues.
This time though, she does most of the talking.
Third Delivery
A few days later, Audrey places
a child-like picture of a yellow sun in the window of one of the rear bedrooms.
It’s the best thing she can create at relatively short notice. Three days
later, another unstamped letter lands on the carpet floor near the front door. It’s
identical in appearance to the last two, right down to the handwritten address.
She retrieves it and reflects
that even though Jeff has given her tacit approval to do this, she’s grateful
he’s currently asleep and not around to ask questions. There’s a mobile phone
number on the note inside the envelope, which is again signed ‘P’ with two
kisses this time.
A New Beginning
Audrey leaves it for a few days
before contacting P. She’s told Jeff she won’t leave him and has provided
limited information about P in the event a problem materialises. But, so far, everything
is proceeding well so far as Audrey is concerned.
Jeff is relaxed about this
development. He’s asked Audrey not to rub his nose in it by staying out
overnight, and she’s happy to oblige. P, real name Peter, doesn’t have the full
story yet, but Audrey is considering telling him soon. For now, it’s a
developing relationship.
Fourth Delivery
Audrey is working at home a few
days later when an unstamped letter lands on the carpet. She hasn’t seen the
person delivering it, but she knows who it will be from. She’s a little bit
mystified why Peter is continuing to do this, given everything, but in a way
she finds it quite romantic.
This time though, her name has
been typed on the envelope. Peter wrote her name on the others. Strange, she
thinks, before dismissing the thought. She opens the envelope quickly. The
typed letter inside has a photograph of her with Peter attached, sat in the
park of a small town a few miles away. The writer hasn’t signed the letter, but
the text states this person knows she’s cheating on her husband and has further
proof should it be required. A further communication will follow shortly to
discuss what happens next. There is no signature.
Audrey smiles to herself.
Comments
Post a Comment